Thursday, June 2, 2011

I guess its a poem...

I was standing in church Sunday, listening to the music, when my friend began to sing. She has such a beautiful voice its almost unfair to the rest of the world. Well anyways, as i considered this, i also thought about the fact that she is also a Spanish teacher. It was amazing to consider the fact that God has gifted her mouth in so many ways to bless other people. I started to wonder, "what has God gifted me with?" To be honest, i'm not great at much of anything; I'm good at a lot of things, but not great. Fortunately it didn't take me long to figure it out- God has given me gifted hands. I play drums, and i am a developing graphic designer. Some may argue whether or not graphic design is a gift of the hands, but i definitely think it is (its a big factor, at least). Sadly though, i pop my fingers all the time, will probably have carpal tunnel within the next decade, and have quite recently developed a recurring twitch in my thumb. So i'm not sure how long these hands will last, but i'm hoping things will pan out. In light of my gifted hands revelation, i began developing a collection of thoughts on my hands, which has turned into a poem of sorts. I'm no poet, so i don't know why i wanted to make this a poem, but i did, so here you go.

These Hands

These hands aren't much, are they?
They are big and long and boney.
They are calloused.
They ache.
They twitch.
But they can palm a basketball....I guess that's cool.

These hands bow to the right side of my brain.
These hands create.
They drum.
They design.

These hands wish they could do tons of other things.
Like play the piano.
Or the guitar.
Or draw better.
Or do that pen-flip thing.
Maybe one day...

These hands love.
They hug.
They shake hands.
They high five.
They pat backs.

But these same hands sin.

They lust.
They hate.
They steal.
They envy.

These hands get lazy.
They love the remote control.
They waste time.

In the end, I think God still loves them, though.

Now they work.
Now they praise.
Now they love.

3 comments:

  1. Eric,

    As much as a cheesy artist reply can sound. Your poem actually moved me, at least enough to almost make me tear, but maybe it's because I miss those hands of yours. They haven't hugged me or high-fived me in a while. Maybe thats why your poem stirred my heart so much. Your poem claims your gift is your hands...dangit, I miss those hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So curiosity got to me, I had to read this poem after that trying really hard not to be creepy back story. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete