Sunday, April 3, 2011

Package Design

Another recent project- package design! I found this one to be quite enjoyable- more so than I thought it would be. The fun part about it was that I picked one of the most boring things one could choose to design- meat packaging. Yes, you read that right- I chose this product to design. You might be asking why I chose such a mundane subject as meat packaging? I will tell you:
For one, there is virtually no legit designs for meat packaging ANYWHERE. So my options were limitless! One might see this as even more of a challenge than, say, another product that already has a certain feel or target audience to stem from, but I saw it as an opportunity to set my own bar for a field that has (let's be honest here) not been touched. Plus, if I just create an package design that merely stems from what's been done, where is the fun or originality in that?
Secondly, even though I whole-heartedly believe that my design is both visually effective and appealing, I could have done almost anything and it would have been a step up from current meat packages- which is essentially not much at all. Am I saying that I set my standards low so as to create a good design no matter what the outcome? Absolutely not! What I am saying is that I wanted to create the standard- I wanted to be the one to set the bar for this particular packaging field. I wanted it to be the idea that other people are trying to stem from to give them a direction to go.

So, as far as the design itself goes, I wanted it to be something simple, communicative, and also visually appealing, but at the same time fun and even educational. I realized there are so many elements to consider in something like meat packaging. For one, meat is a serious thing when it comes to consumers buying it- they want to know it is a quality, fresh product. However, that doesn't mean it has to look boring. If you see my design below, I added an "animal diagram". This I felt was an important design element because, being a meat eater myself, I have often thought, "I wonder what part of the animal this came from?" Well, with this educational and fun design, the curious consumer need question no more! I believe this particular design encompasses the revitalizing look that meat packaging needs, plus provides the consumer with some educational know-how. Any thoughts? I used the pig as my design example, but other animals can also apply.



1 comment:

  1. Nice work, broski. It's about time someone revamped the meat packaging industry. I must say though, I'd rather not have an animal diagram for my hot dog products.

    ReplyDelete